Independent Living Advisor (Direct Payments)
This is a new full-time role in a well-established charity based in Fulham that would really suit someone who wants to build their career in the Charity sector.
Action on Disability (AoD), founded in 1979, is one of London’s leading Deaf and Disabled People’s Organisations. We believe in the social model of disability, so our values and principles embrace inclusive and accessible ways of working both internally and in all our activities, we seek the participation and contribution of our members, and encourage and respect diversity.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, detail conscious person who has at least two years’ experience of providing services or working on projects in the charity sector. You will be able to demonstrate experience of supporting people with disabilities, or the elderly, and will have knowledge of managing contracts and creating and managing budgets.
Main Duties include:
- Providing information and advice on becoming an employer and the role of the Personal Assistant to the client so that they understand their legal obligations and responsibilities.
- Working with clients to develop their PA role description and advertise it to recruit a suitable person
- Advising and helping to calculate the PA’s salary and on costs.
- Setting up and managing a budget with the client to ensure the Direct Payments are allocated correctly
- Supporting the client through the interview process and where necessary sitting in during interviews to ensure the PA is fairly selected, fully referenced and legally checked (including DBS if necessary) and ready to be employed.
- Working with the client to draw up a Contract of employment and help the client to complete payroll and insurance documentation.
- Encouraging, supporting and advising DP employers with all employment issues with their PA using online advice available to ensure they get the best result. Ensuring that the client has a back-up plan for emergencies
- Meeting and administer the DP Peer Support Group on a regular basis to ensuring good understanding and standardisation
- Working with agencies to set up support for clients who may not wish to employ a PA directly.
- Assisting in the development of training and other resources to support employers to manage their DP and PA relationships.
- Developing links and professional relationships with Social Work teams to support a healthy level of referrals to AoD for this service.
You will be someone:
- Who works in a person-centred way.
- Understands social care and Direct Payments legislation.
- Has experience of working with clients who have support needs.
- Is numerate and has knowledge of budgeting.
- Is computer literate and can use Word and Excel to a high standard.
- Is able to gather and assess information efficiently and think creatively and to come up with solutions.
- Has good communication skills including spoken, written and presentational.
- Has an understanding of equal opportunities and anti-discriminatory practice.
We actively encourage applications from disabled people and people with long term health and mental conditions.
We operate a Guaranteed Interview Scheme in that we will guarantee an interview to all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for the post. Please state in a cover letter if you wish us to consider you for this guaranteed interview scheme.
Please apply in writing with a cover letter and stating your current salary to Viv Sage our HR Consultant at Better Talent. Email: email@example.com
Please do not apply directly to AoD.